Topics Commonwealth Home Support Programme, Home care packages

When do I need to call AccessCare?

A reminder to all our clients, please call us on 1300 819 200 if you or someone in your household:

  • Has any symptoms of cold/flu type illness such as cough, sore throat, runny nose, fever, chills, shortness of breath.
  • Is a close contact of a person who has either tested positive COVID-19 or waiting for test results.
  • Has had a COVID-19 test and is waiting for a result.
  • Has tested positive to COVID-19.

We can then put a plan in place for your care. Thank you.

I would like to put my services on hold due to the Coronavirus because I want to reduce contact with people.

We understand you may be concerned about having people come to your home at this time. Consider whether you have someone to support you during this time, a friend, neighbour or family member. If not, you may wish to continue with your services and you can be assured our staff are trained in infection and hygiene procedures and additional protective measures are in place to ensure your safety. 

I am in home isolation due to contact with a person infected with COVID-19.

If you have come into contact with someone who has tested positive to COVID-19, please let us know by calling us on 1300 819 200 and speak to a Coordinator. 

I’m concerned about hygiene and infection control. What is AccessCare doing to protect clients?

  • All City of Kingston support workers are undertaking a refresher course on Hand Hygiene and Infection Control in response to COVID-19.
  • Our teams are being provided with additional personal protective equipment including masks to further minimise risk and we have infection control protocols in place. 
  • We have issued our internal COVID-19 policy which ensures that any at-risk staff do not attend and will require medical clearance prior to returning to work.

I have tested positive to COVID-19

Please call us on 1300 819 200 to advise us immediately and speak to a Coordinator. Your services will be placed on hold and a plan put in place regarding your care.

What actions are you putting in place to protect our family members? 

AccessCare is committed to the safety of our staff and clients. We are observing social distancing when working in client’s homes where appropriate. We are also conducting welfare checks over the phone for vulnerable people.  

Are the home support services still going ahead? 

AccessCare is acting on the advice of government and health authorities in relation to COVID-19 and will continuously review and adapt our services into the community as we progress through this pandemic.

We are still running the following essential services:

  • Personal care
  • Delivered meals
  • Unescorted shopping
  • Urgent home modifications
  • Escorted shopping if required (bank visits, paying bills etc)
  • Essential domestic assistance for vulnerable people 
  • Home maintenance, urgent and outdoor work only
  • Transport to essential medical appointments
  • Welfare phone checks as required
  • Phone assessments

As this is a fast-changing situation, further changes may be required in the future to limit services to only our most vulnerable clients. If you do not have any friends, family or neighbours who could support you in this situation, please let us know now by calling us on 1300 819 200. 

Is the bus service still operating? 

The community bus service is currently on hold due. If shopping assistance is required for essential items, please speak to our friendly customer service team on 1300 819 200

How can I protect myself?

Routine environmental cleaning in your home is recommended. Frequently clean the high touch points in your home such as door handles, light switches, taps and table tops. 

Do you offer care packages? 

For those eligible vulnerable clients we may be able to supply some essential items including toilet paper and milk at cost prices.  

I can’t access toilet paper, can you help? 

If you are a Home Care Package client, speak to your Aged Care Adviser. If not please call our Home Support team on 1300 819 200 to discuss your situation.  If you are already a Delivered Meals client you may be able to access toilet paper through this service by calling the kitchen on  9581 4790.

Are Home Care Packages still available?

Yes, we are still taking on new Home Care Package clients. We are offering phone assessments and will also still do face-to-face assessments where required.  If you’ve been assigned a Home Care Package please call us on 1300 819 200.

My parents are not able to get food, what can you do to help? 

We have the City of Kingston Delivered Meals service available and are prioritising meals for the vulnerable residents. If you are struggling to access meals please call 1300 819 200 or phone My Aged Care on 1800 200 422.

What should I do if my parents need urgent access to services?

If you are looking for new or increased services please call My Aged Care contact centre on 1800 200 422. Assessors can be flexible and undertake urgent telephone assessments where these are required for at risk people. 

What should I do if I'm feeling unwell?

It’s an important time to check in with yourself and monitor your health. If you are feeling unwell or have recently been unwell, please call us on 1300 819 200 to discuss your care options.

I am isolated and alone - who can I contact for help? 

If you are feeling increasing isolated and alone and would like to have a chat please call us on 1300 819 200. 

I am feeling stressed, anxious and depressed - who should I contact? 

We understand this is a stressful situation and it’s not easy to adapt to the restrictions that are currently in place.

  • Lifeline on 13 11 44, if you are in crisis or having thoughts of suicide
  • Beyond Blue on 1300 224 636 if you are feeling anxious or depressed.

I am not feeling safe at home - what can I do? 

Sadly, we know that in times of high stress, family violence incidents can increase. There are a number of services available below. If you are feeling unsafe, please also let AccessCare know by calling 1300 819 200 or call one of the following services:

  • Orange Door, visit  
  • Seniors Rights Victoria can provide information about free services to help prevent elder abuse - 1300 368 821 or 
  • Safe steps can be contacted 24/7 on 1800 015 188, for women and children who are victims of family violence
  • Men's referral service call 1300 766 491 for men using controlling behaviour or women seeking further information.  
  • 1800RESPECT (1800 737 732) is the national helpline that can be contacted 24/7 for confidential information about counselling and support services (

If you are in immediate danger call the Police on 000.

Relevant fact sheets

If your question has not been answered in this list please call us on 1300 819 200 for further assistance.